Our Vision for Reading
‘Reading is the Key’
At Wilthorpe Primary School, we aim to develop reading skills with our pupils in order to improve their life chances, provide them with life skills and to promote reading for pleasure and enjoyment.
We believe that reading is the key that can open doors for our pupils; it stimulates their imaginations and improves their language and vocabulary skills. We aim to create confident, enthusiastic readers who are keen to discuss books and their interests through independent reading.
Reading for pleasure contributes to educational success, our journey to success focuses on developing a life-long love of reading and equipping our pupils for the next stage on their journey.
How will we achieve our reading vision?
We will ensure that reading is the key in our school by:
- Teaching reading consistently by following the Reading Policy using VIPERS.
- Allowing every child the opportunity to read for pleasure and to follow their own interests e.g. reading buddies,
- Allowing every child the chance to use the library and to borrow books.
- Encouraging reading at home through ‘Read Around the World’ which is closely monitored each week by the class teacher.
- Providing an inviting book corner filled with books that match the ability and interests of our children.
- Offering book fairs, competitions and sponsored reads to create a reading buzz.
- Celebrating key reading events, such as world book day.
- Developing links with poets and authors.
- Teaching writing through a key text wherever possible.
- Offering timely interventions to ensure that every child maintains good progress.
- Giving every child the opportunity to read to an adult.
- Allowing children to listen to language through daily story or poem time.
- Building partnerships with parents by offering reading workshops and inviting them into school.