Summer Term - Invaders!
Our new topic will focus on the invasion of the British Isles by the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings. We will be looking at the various impacts these groups had on the history of these islands.
We will be reading Beowulf and basing many of our Guided Reading and English lessons around it. Some of our outcomes will include the following: writing newspaper articles, writing persuasive and balanced arguments, and creating a film script for a movie version of Beowulf).
Easter Homework - Apollo Class
The homework for Apollo Class is to find out some intriguing facts about the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings and present them in whatever way you wish! This could be a fact-file, a poster, a power-point, a comic strip etc.
In this term, the children will be leaping into learning about Surviving Extremes.
- performing songs at Sheffield Arena as part of Young Voices Choir
- researching a range of extreme environments and how to survive including map reading skills
- learning a variety of dance techniques from around the world including the famous Haka which links to our outdoor PE tag rugby.
- using a range of media to create exciting biome models
- developing a range of research skills to help children become independent learners
- writing a report about an animal from their chosen biome
- visit to Emmanuel church to learn about the life of James Hudson Taylor.
- creating survival supplies including a range of entrepreneurial skills
- taking part in the 500 words BBC competition
Throughout the Autumn term, the children enjoyed the following learning experiences:
- a blockbuster performance of The Heroes of Troy
- creating their own myths
- discovering great events in Greek history e.g. The Battle of Thermopylae
- drawing in perspective using skills to design the Parthenon
- creating a how to guide for life aboard the ISS
- exploring ideas of journeys through the Odyssey
- taught other classes about the difference between life in Athens and Sparta and produced a range of excellent homework pieces which are on displays in the corridors outside each classroom.
- we created narrative poems based around Twas the Night Before Christmas
Y5 Twitter - @Y5wilthorpePS
Follow us on Twitter to find out all the latest events - click on the link below to start exploring.